1 an interval during which a recurring sequence of events occurs; "the neverending cycle of the seasons" [syn: rhythm, round]
2 a series of poems or songs on the same theme; "schubert's song cycles"
3 a periodically repeated sequence of events; "a cycle of reprisal and retaliation"
4 the unit of frequency; one Hertz has a periodic interval of one second [syn: Hertz, Hz, cycle per second, cycles/second, cps]
5 a single complete execution of a periodically repeated phenomenon; "a year constitutes a cycle of the seasons" [syn: oscillation]
1 cause to go through a recurring sequence; "cycle thge laundry in this washing program"
2 pass through a cycle; "This machine automatically cycles"
3 ride a motorcycle [syn: motorcycle]
5 recur in repeating sequences
- Pronunciation: /saikl/
- Rhymes: -aɪkəl,
- An interval of space or time in which one set of events or phenomena is completed.
- A complete rotation of anything.
- A process that returns to its beginning and then repeats itself in the same sequence.
- A series of poems, songs or other works of art
- A programme/program on a washing machine, dishwasher, etc.
- Put the washing in on a warm cycle.
- A generic term for a pedal-powered vehicle (unicycles, bicycles and tricycles), or motorized vehicle that has either two or three wheels (motorbike, motorcycle, motorized tricycle, motortrike).
- When a batter hits a single, a double, a triple, and a homer in the same game
- Jones hit for the cycle in the game.
- a closed (directed) walk or path, with or without repeated vertices allowed
series of poems etc.
program on a washing machine
graph theory: closed (directed) walk or path
- Czech: cyklus
- To ride a cycle.
- To go through a cycle or to put through a cycle.
- To turn power off and
- Avoid cycling the device unnecessarily.
- To maintain a team's possession of the puck in the offensive
zone by handling and passing the puck in a loop from the boards
near the goal up the side boards and passing to back to the boards
near the goal
- They have their cycling game going tonight.
to ride a cycle
to go through a cycle or to put through a cycle
- French: passer par un cycle
to turn power off and back on
- SAMPA: /sikl/
Cycle or Cyclic may refer to:
In other uses:
- Cycle (mathematics), into which any permutation may be decomposed
- Cycle (graph theory)
- Cycle (baseball), a single, double, triple, and home run in a single game of baseball
- Cycle (film), a 2008 Malayalam film
- Cyclic compound, a chemical compound in which a series of carbon atoms form a loop
- Epic Cycle, a set of ancient Greek epic poems about the Trojan War
- Menstrual cycle, a 28 day long cycle of physiologic changes that occurs in reproductive-age females
- Fenian Cycle
cycle in Czech: Cyklus
cycle in German: Kreislauf
cycle in French: Cycle
cycle in Hungarian: Ciklus
cycle in Japanese: サイクル
cycle in Polish: Cykl
cycle in Russian: Цикл
cycle in Simple English: Cycle
cycle in Slovak: Cyklus
cycle in Ukrainian: Цикл
AC, AF, CPS, DC, EHF, HF, Hz, Indian file, Kekule formula, MF, O, Platonic year, RF, SHF, UHF, VHF, VLF, absorption current, active current, aeon, age, alternate, alternating current, ambit, annular muscle, annulus, annus magnus, areola, array, arsis, articulation, atomic cluster, audio frequency, aureole, bank, be here again, beat, benzene ring, bicycle, bicycle-built-for-two, bike, bout, branched chain, bus, buzz, carrier frequency, catch a train, catena, catenation, chain, chain reaction, chaining, chaplet, chauffeur, chopper, circle, circuit, circuiteer, circulate, circumambulate, circumference, circummigrate, circumnavigate, circumvent, circus, close the circle, closed chain, closed circle, come again, come and go, come around, come full circle, come round, come round again, come up again, compass, compound radical, concatenation, conduction current, connection, consecution, continuum, convection current, corona, coronet, course, crown, cycle of indiction, cycles, date, day, delta current, descent, describe a circle, diadem, diastole, dielectric displacement current, direct current, discus, disk, displacement current, downbeat, drive, drone, eddy current, electric current, electric stream, emission current, encircle, encompass, endless belt, endless round, entrain, eternal return, exciting current, extremely high frequency, fairy ring, file, filiation, flank, free alternating current, frequency, frequency spectrum, full circle, galvanic current, gamut, garland, generation, girdle, girdle the globe, glory, go about, go around, go by rail, go round, go the round, gradation, great year, gyre, halo, hertz, heterocycle, high frequency, high-frequency current, homocycle, hum, idle current, indiction, induced current, induction current, intermediate frequency, intermit, ionization current, iron, joyride, juice, kilocycles, kilohertz, lap, lasso, lattice, line, lineage, logical circle, loop, looplet, low frequency, low-frequency current, lower frequencies, magic circle, magnetizing current, make a circuit, make a train, medium frequency, megacycles, megahertz, minibike, molecule, monocycle, monotone, motocycle, motor, motorbike, motorcycle, multiphase current, nexus, noose, orbit, oscillate, pattern, pedal, pedicab, pendulum, periodicity, pig, plenum, powder train, progression, pulsate, pulsating direct current, pulse, queue, radical, radio frequency, radius, range, rank, reactive current, reappear, recur, recurrence, recycle, reoccur, repeat, reticulation, return, revolution, revolve, ride, ring, road-bike, roll around, rondelle, rotary current, rotate, rotation, round, round trip, roundel, rounds, routine, row, run, saucer, scale, scooter, sequel, sequence, series, side chain, sidewalk bike, simple radical, single file, single-phase alternating current, skirt, space-lattice, spark frequency, spectrum, spell, sphincter, spiral, straight chain, stray current, string, succession, superhigh frequency, surround, swath, systole, take a joyride, tandem, taxi, thermionic current, thermoelectric current, thesis, thread, three-phase alternating current, tier, time, tour, trail bike, train, tricycle, trike, turn, two-wheeler, ultrahigh frequency, undulate, upbeat, upper frequencies, velocipede, very high frequency, very low frequency, vicious circle, voltaic current, walk, watt current, wheel, wheel around, windrow, wreath